Saturday, April 12, 2014

UTG s1e13 • Finale 10 April 2014

Last time on Under The Gunn the remaining contestants designed outfits inspired by comic book heroes.  The judges didn't bother to eliminate anyone, so everyone moved forward.

There's a lot of that going around, evidently.

So, now we have a final four, like PR seasons 3, 9, 10 and 12.

The designers get $2,500 and three days to create a five piece mini-collection. 

Each gets an eliminated contestant for help, but, don't worry, Natalia was placed with Oscar, who is kind and gracious.  Or, keeping her far away from all of the fabric.   Hmmmm.

Family members are brought in one day.  No one seems to be thrown off their game by it, unless s8.

Alright, let's get to it, eh?

Asha
I don't know.  Two of the emaciated models look big & wide.  I get that Asha likes to design for the curvy girl, but I always think that something is wrong when ya make the twig look big.   How can it be so shiny and yet so muddy? Maybe it's my eye.  I'm not sold on all the shiny, and the dreary colors, but, I'll wait for the judges critique.  I'm not convinced that this is entirely cohesive.

Oscar
Elegant drapery, mature, but not overly so.  I was worried he would hit the 40 to Death demo.  The audience GASPED and went wild on a couple of his outfits.  That can only be good, eh?

Sam
Very cohesive.  His focus on cool, young girls is so narrow.  That's going to be rewarded now, yes?

Shan
Wow, what a surprise.  I thought he would be fighting it out with Oscar for the win.  I was wrong.  His is the least cohesive.   Four of the five looks have way too much going on.

Joining Tim Gunn, Jen Rade, Zanna Roberts Rassi and Rachel Roy are Heidi Klum and Neil Patrick Harris.

Sam's up first.

SD: "I think of myself as very ready-to-wear.  I hate couture, I kinda think it's useless and outdated."
HK: "Hate?  That is such a strong word!"

Really?  That's certainly going to leave an impression.  Even if you feel that way, isn't it possible that at some point in the future you might want to experiment?  Diversify?  Move on up to the East side?  I'm as shocked as Heidi.  

The judges admire his work, and validate his being there.  Neil Patrick Harris wants him to aim beyond his safe RTW box.

The judges do pick on Oscar for using looks alarmingly similar to output from earlier in the season.  Heidi loves the 2nd look.  She thinks it looks expensive, and Zanna is feeling underdressed.  They noticed all the applause Oscar's work received.

Asha calls her collection "Nefertiti of Harlem."  Zanna and Jen see 1970s.  The regular judges like it while the guest judges have serious trouble.  NPH doesn't like the headwear.

Jen wanted more graphic prints from Shan.  Rachel and Zana see too many ideas.  The red jumpsuit is a hit.    Heidi says too much as well.  NPH sees that it isn't cohesive.

Shan places fourth, Asha places third.


"It's a kick-ass collection.  Whether you like it or not, I don't really care."

Oscar is the winner!  So is Nick!

So, what did you think?  I don't ever want to see an Under The Gunn episode again.  I am so pro-PR, but this was crazy with the bullying throughout the season, and the entitlement, and not just from some of the contestants.   The sour grapes from Mondo and Anya (winning isn't what's important here) cracked me up.

What were they thinking?

"As soon as Britney Spears writes a song about something, it's over."

"Ooops!  I did it again!"

Sorry, it looked like he was doing karaoke there.

ILYM

2 comments:

  1. The best part about Under The Gunn was your recaps. Worst part about the show was editing. The editing was mean and unnecessary and produced Ill will rather than drama. Tim seems like he lost his mind over identifying with young "talent". Why is it better to give $100,000 to a 23-year-old fresh out of fashion school then it is to a 40-year-old who can really make a business work? Oscar has the ability and personality to be a top name designer. I can totally see Taylor Swift wearing his clothes, and she is 23 years old! I wonder what it would've been like to have Nina Garcia on the panel. She loves classic clothing with a twist. I think she would've been in love with Oscars designs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is way too bad that Tim never got on Mondo's or Anya's case about the bullying. That was ridic, and not fun to watch. I LURVE Project Runway, so I'd be willing to watch another season of this, but it would be nice if they evolved a bit and tightened up their focus. If it's going to be on the mentors, let's see what that's like. If not - just get rid of that competition altogether and have it be PR with previous contestants as mentors.

    ReplyDelete