Wednesday, October 30, 2013

PRAS s3e01 Let's Get Punked 24 October 2013

Well, we've got 11 recycled veteran Project Runway contestants, three are previous winners!   I'm with you Andy Ari, that ain't right! 

Who has grown?  Who hasn't changed one bit?  Who is copying Seth Aaron's aesthetic from a few years ago, instead of coming up with something on their own?  We have some of each.

Well, I was wrong again.  Ra'mon & Valerie never made it onto the show.   They were up for returning to season 12 along with Kate who actually won the spot and competed in s12.  I figured they would let the losers be on All-Stars.  Nope.   So will the season be 2 episodes shorter than the others?

Alyssa Milano seems to be pronouncing Irina's name differently each time she says it.  Otherwise, I'm all for her being here.  I haven't looked to see if the other PR fans across the country feel the same way.  They didn't like the last two, so I bet AM is a welcome change.  That first outfit we saw her in, that confused me.  That's being polite.

The 11 designers meet up in Bryant Park (no tents, bien sur) and learn their challenge:  Create their own version of a punk-inspired outfit.  Debbie Harry will guest judge!   How is it that she looks far better than she did when "Maria" was out over a decade ago?   Damn, she's good!.

They sketch in the park, and then they head off to Mood, but they stay there!  No workroom for this challenge!  All work and hair & makeup get done right at Mood.  No, they don't sleep over there, that would have been funny.  They get to play with Swatch, though, so it's BETTER than a sewing room, eh?  Okay, maybe not.

Speaking of Swatch, why is Samuel L. Jackson looking more and more like a French Bulldog these days?  Or is it just on the Capitol One commercial?  Either way, ce n'est pas bon!  Even though I love dogs, it ain't right to me.

Okay, at this point, just knowing what you know about their past … how do you think they will do?   Also, which is more important, being fashion forward, showing the designer's particular aesthetic, or showing the 'punk?'   Should it be exactly one third of each?  Can you go heavy on the fashion forward and just have a smidgeon of punk?   Let me tell you, the judges sure seemed to let a bunch of non-punk slip through.  

Without seeing the rest, I have to have faith that Jeffrey and Seth Aaron nailed this challenge.    Maybe Korto, too, since she won that challenge back in season 5.  

I have magical scissors!  They can cut a competitor to shreds!

I am just scared that Elena is back.  Hide me.  Or something.

Zanna's mentor-thru is rushed, but I thought that was more due to editing than to ZRR herself.  Every time she goes to say something helpful, or say something period, we get interview snark from a fellow contestant.  That's not a mentor mentoring, that's self mentoring between the contestants.  That is NOT a good thing.

And let me tell you, I have an opinion
about your business and I am ready to whine!

The thing that jumps out at me is that Elena's jacket, while cool and fun, is more hip-hop 1990 than anything else.  I see Salt N Pepa, and The Fresh Prince, not genuine or even pseudo punk.  Yes, it's Halloween season, but this is scaring me.

Some of the outfits seem non-punk.  Some of the outfits seem fashion backward.   Wow.  I didn't see that coming.  I lived too long.  When they mention that Mary Kay is a sponsor, all I can think of is that Designing Women episode where Charlene can't quit her 2nd job.

Joining Alyssa Milano, the beautiful Georgina Chapman and the famous and ever popular Isaac Mizrahi is the legendary Debbie Harry.  I am so impressed that she didn't need a grand introduction like Natalie Portman, Lindsay Lohan and Bette Midler needed.   Nothing says you're not important like saying you are.  Just to be clear, I am meaningless and replaceable.  Just ask the ex.  

Jeffrey Sebelia
This counts as punk-inspired.  Is it fashion forward, though?  At all?

Christopher Palu
I'm not finding the punk here.  It feels busy.  Maybe that counts as fashion forward?

Irina Shabayeva
Okay, except for the bottom back area, which is not fitting properly, this is sorta kinda punk inspired, and believable.  This counts as meeting the challenge, yes?  Three in, and only one so far?  Uh-oh!

Viktor Luna
The handbag is worse than McKell's!  The leggings/pants aren't punk and the grommets don't say "punk" as much as they say "bedazzled by a student."   You're breaking my heart, VL. 

Korto Momolu
It's nice, yes.  I fail to see the punk inspiration, though.  It doesn't meet the challenge.   I see Seth Aaron's old ZIPPER!!! aesthetic showed up here.   Oh, wait, if you channel old Seth Aaron, maybe that qualifies as punk?  Ah, NOW I get it.  Okay, then this meets the brief, eh?

Daniel Esquivel
This is just Daniel's point of view, with an unconventional materials oversized belt, eh?  I see pink pieces of wheat just stuck on Daniel's typical output.  Not punk.  Well, maybe a mid-western take on it.  Okay, I'll take it back.

Elena Slivnyak
I hear Salt N Pepa rapping.   They're nice ladies and all, but they're not what I think of when I think of punk.

Ari South
I don't see any change from his aesthetic from before.  It's the same colors as his s8 finale collection, huh?  I question whether it is fashion forward, although it looks nice.  There is NO punk in evidence here.

Mychael Knight
I see the strength of a punk inspiration, but this seems just like a nice too-short outfit.  Okay, it's not Zulema short, but it's on it's way.

Melissa Fleis
Okay, I like this one, but, again, is the punk inspiration showing up enough?  I mean, besides the hair.

Seth Aaron Henderson
Thank GOD, I see some punk inspiration.   Of course, this is a challenge made for SAH, but, still,  fit is not an issue, and it looks punk, but more sophisticated, and believable for the challenge.

Alyssa calls out Christopher, Arena (not Irina?) Mychael, Daniel and Korto as safe.

Isaac loves Viktor's jacket, but thinks it missed the punk aspect.  Alyssa sees two different outfits.  Debbie finds it too sophisticated.

Georgina likes Jeff's point of view, Isaac adores the anarchy.  Okay.  

Georgina thinks Ari's work is beautiful, but thinks it is too perfect.  Alyssa can't see any punk.  Isaac nails it - he's in his own head and isn't self-editing.

Seth Aaron's is a hit, no one has anything bad to say.

Melissa gushes that she spent all of her time on the jacket and less on everything else.   Funny thing is, the judges LIKE her dress underneath.  Isaac says the jacket is too now and unoriginal.  Uh-oh, that's her thing, yes?  But, at least it isn't all black, so she grew since last year.

The judges ADORE Elena's work.  The straight-jacked look is a hit.  What about being able to put it on, eh?  Punk seemed to have a do-it-yourself part to it, and one can't put on the jacket fully by oneself, can one?

Seth Aaron is in.  Elena wins — she was the only one who had never won a challenge before.  Jeffrey is in, of course.  Melissa is also in.

That means Ari and Viktor were the bottom two.

Ari is out.

I guess the judges want to see some redneck dinosaur looks from Viktor?  I don't know, they both seemed so far away from the challenge that they could BOTH be out.  Being a fan of VL, it was hard to watch this episode.   I can say this:  I want to see Irina, Seth Aaron and Elena do a variety of looks for a wide range of situations.  Okay, I'm in.  Even if there's no RLJ or VM.

ILYM

No comments:

Post a Comment