Friday, June 21, 2013

Exodus International Closes? • 20 June 2013


Did you see this article from CBS News?
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57590238/exodus-international-controversial-ministry-offering-alternative-to-homosexuality-to-shut-doors/

Did you read this one from America blog?
http://americablog.com/2013/06/exodus-international-lead-cure-the-gays-group-shuts-down-apologizes-to-gays.html

Exodus International website:
http://exodusinternational.org/

I'm writing at 1:36a, Friday, 21 June 2013.  At this moment the Exodus website does not reflect their closing.  However, I saw on local (greater Orlando area) news that their building is barren, and there is a for sale sign up.  It turns out the headquarter was in the town I moved to last May, just a bit Northeast of Orlando.  Wow. I never knew till a couple of hours ago.  I mean, I knew it was in the greater Orlando area, but I didn't know it was in that specific town NE of Orlando.

I attended an Exodus International affiliated group in Tampa for all of 1993.  I attended another in St. Catharines & Toronto, Ontario, Canada for most of 1994 & 1995.  Looking back I can say that it was quite an experience.  The people I met were, for the most part, truly gay and truly wanting to follow Christ.  What really weighs on my heart is all of the religious right who think they have to keep the gays from the Kingdom of Heaven, that not only were being gay and being Christian mutually exclusive, but that they had to harass queers to the point of inspiring some to not pursue Christ.

John 13
33 Dear children, I will be with you only a little longer. And as I told the Jewish leaders, you will search for me, but you can’t come where I am going. 34 So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. 35 Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.”   (NLT) (Bold emphasis mine.)

Matthew 5
43 “You have heard the law that says, ‘Love your neighbor’ and hate your enemy. 44 But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you! 45 In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike. 46 If you love only those who love you, what reward is there for that? Even corrupt tax collectors do that much. 47 If you are kind only to your friends, how are you different from anyone else? Even pagans do that. 48 But you are to be perfect, even as your Father in heaven is perfect.  (NLT) (Bold emphasis mine.)


Now, don't you think RuPaul has it right with his mantra, "If you can't love yourself, how in the hell are you gonna love somebody else?"  I'm buying Ru long before I'm buying someone like this:

Luke 6
31 Do to others as you would like them to do to you.   (NLT)

... and how about the most obvious:

1 John 4
7 Dear friends, let us continue to love one another, for love comes from God. Anyone who loves is a child of God and knows God. 8 But anyone who does not love does not know God, for God is love.  (NLT) (Bold emphasis mine.)

Love one another.  It's uncommon.  It's controversial.  It's biblical.  It's what Jesus tells Christians to do.  Don't hate on the queers so much that you inspire them to not turn to God.  Thou art not a bouncer at the pearly gates.  Trust me.

Or, let the Holy Spirit be the one to convict.  We are called to love, not to judge.

Thus endeth the theological rant for the day.

Maybe tomorrow they will announce the contestants for PR12?

Now I feel like Larry King talking sports after a big interview.

ILYJ
&
ILYM

1 comment:

  1. How funny, they DID post the PR12 contestants that very day.

    What power I hold! Let's try something out: Maybe tomorrow I will have a financial windfall and meet my future husband for life? Oh, and grow brains and a heart, too. Um, okay, world peace, end starvation, obesity and illness.

    You know how it is. Let's throw everything at the wall and see what sticks, if anything. PR12 'meet the contestants' kind of post coming soon.

    ReplyDelete