Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!
Self Evaluation


 May you have a safe and prosperous new year.

Oh, and may you not be caught doing inappropriate things on television.
Wait a minute.  Maybe when it's Anderson Cooper, it's appropriate?
So much to contemplate.  So much to learn. 

A year ago I lived in one corner of the country.  I was single, and none too pleased about it.  With a 40 to 60 hour a week job, an hour each way commute, and all other moments caring for an ailing parent, life was busy.   Or, life was passing me by.


One thing that my mother & I shared was an enjoyment for Project Runway.  Neither of us had any background in fashion.  I do have 20 years of playing live (working musician) and 23 years of 2D (print) graphic design.  So, I know what it is like to pay attention, to focus, and to set a course for a creative goal, and achieve it.

Now it's a year later.  I no longer watch PR with my mother, may she rest in peace.  I'm in another corner of the country.  I did find love (cue Handel's "Messiah") and I finally started what my mom & I had talked about for years — me blogging on PR.  I still have no skill for blogging, or for fashion.  I no longer drive, or have a job.  I no longer see.  Well, I can see a little bit out of one eye, but mostly it is just a gray blur.  The other eye is a wonderful prosthetic.  I often think how amusing it is that a blind man is blogging about a subject (fashion) that he can neither observe nor understand.  Then I remember, didn't Tom Sullivan drive a car in that 1982 movie about his life?  Point taken, Mr. S.  To greatly paraphrase Irina from PRs6e5:  If someone did it, then it can be done, I can figure out how to do it.  So, thank GOD that Tom Sullivan came before me, and showed his talent and courage in the media, in so many ways.

What would we do without Tim Gunn?

Which brings me to the self evaluation.  I sure thought by now I'd be good at this.  Not so much?  Oh, please, not at all.  The graphics aren't near what I could once do just a year or two ago.  Oh, and don't get me started on the sorry writing.  So, what do I do now?  Well, I'm going to keep at it.  I won't hit the ball unless I swing. 

Galatians 6:9 And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.     1 Corinthians 9:24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.

So, I may not be able to listen to mp3s of past PR seasons on the car CD player while I commute, but I can listen to current episodes on my laptop while my partner snores and one of his animals sleeps on my lap.  I miss my mother, and I miss my vision, but that won't stop me.  I'm still going to get up, grab a bat, and swing hard.  Life demands no less.  Oh, and if I strike out, I won't blame the judges for not understanding my point of view.
 
That really grinds my gears!
 
ILYM

No comments:

Post a Comment